The way it was...

 Mr. W. Cameron has kindly made the following photographs available:

 

 

 

 

 

 The Thomas Street site with tennis court in the foreground

 his1 
 his3

 

 

 

 Ballymena Academy, Thomas Street

 

 

 

 Another view of the Thomas Street School

 his2
 his4

 

 

 

 

 The Assembly Hall, Thomas Street

 his5  his6
 The Thomas Street Art Room (Left) and Chemistry Room 13 with Mr R J Kernohan's writing on the board

 his7

 The Thomas Street school Gymnasium and Gym Instructor Sergeant Browne

 his8
 his9

 his10

 The playground horse and Sergeant Browne in the gym

 his11

 

 

 

 

 

 Ballymena Academy, Staff and Governors, c. 1930

 
 
 
 
 
 
Taken outside the chemistry laboratory about 1958 the photograph shows, from left to right;
 Mr. Kernoghan, Mr. Allen, Miss Kyle, Mrs. Whitley, Miss Armstrong and Mr. Russell.
 (Photograph thanks to Mrs. Sloan nee Armstrong)
 his12
 his13
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Also from about 1958 this photograph taken at Guide Camp
 shows Mr. Mol and Miss Armstrong.
 (photograph thanks to Mrs. Sloan nee Armstrong)
 his14
 
 
 
 
 Ballymena Academy 1st XI, 1949 - 50
 Standing: Mr. W.H. Mol, E. Blair, M.B. Brown,
 H.A. Calderwood, A.L. Ramsey, Miss M.J. Turner
 
 Seated: M.P. Brown, L.M. Watt, M.E.J. Glass,
 E. Jamieson (Captain), A. Lynch, M.A.C. McKernan,
 H. Taggart
 
 
 
 
 
 Ballymena Academy 1st XV, 1949 - 50
 Standing: Mr. R.W. Mitchell, W.G. Hamilton, A.H. Simpson,
 Mr. W.H. Mol, H.K. Graham, R.T.B. Gregg, Mr. A. Watt
 
 Seated: D.T.M. Calderwood, J.L. Sloan, A.H. Graham,
 T.A.M. Gregg (Captain), L.A.D. Graham, W.S. Holmes, J.G. McDowell,
 S. Millar, J. Kernoghan, J.K. Houston, N.B. Graham, J.I. Bill
 his15
 his16
 
 
 
 
 Morton'sHouse, Knocknanure - the site of the present school.
 The front door oftoday's school is approximately in the same position
as the front doorof the old house

 

 

 

 

 The present school, c. 1972

 his17
 his18
 
 
 
 
 
 
 TheRev. Robert Matthews held office from 1829 to 1847 and for
theremaining years of the century the school was in the hands of
Rev.William Reeves, D.D.(1847-1858) and the Rev. Robert King
B.A.(1859-1900).
 
 
 
 
 In1896, the brothers Mr. W. A. Fullerton, B.A. and Mr. J. A. Fullerton,B.A.
(assited shortly afterwards by Mr. T. Kirkpatrick, B.A.) openedthe
Ballymena High School in High Street. Enrolment very quicklyoutstripped
the premises. When Mr. King died in 1900, the Govenors ofthe Academy
offered the vacant post of Headmaster to Mr. W. A.Fullerton, B.A.
 his19
 his20
 
 
 
 
 
 He closed the high school and transferred his pupils to the Academy.
 All three of these gentlemen served the Academy until they retired more
than thirty years later
 

Thanks to Mr. Cameron for making these photographs available.

If you have any similar archive photographs that could be included in this section please contact the school at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Contact Us

Ballymena Academy
89 Galgorm Road
Ballymena
County Antrim
BT42 1AJ

 

Tel: 028 2565 2782
Fax: 028 2563 0855

 

StatCounter - Free Web Tracker and Counter

Find Us